Submissions | BROADCAST AMSTERDAM radio
We created Broadcast Amsterdam’s radio station to be a shared, public access resource for the city. We invite all local members of the community to contribute and share stories, for the benefit of all of us.
At the moment we are happy to receive and broadcast items about:
- local events, especially from the organisers themselves (for our ‘What’s On’ section, up to 2 mins)
- news from the local community, eg a neighbourhood campaign (for our ‘News hour’, up to 2 mins)
- small business/ZZP/entrepreneur personal stories or tips (as part of our ‘Amsterdam Startup Stories‘ series, up to 3 mins)
- film reviews for recent and approaching new film releasing in the Dutch cinemas (as part of our ‘Amsterdam Film Show‘ series, up to 2 mins).
- Local food stories, eg restaurant reviews, local producers, seasonal tips (as part of our ‘Amsterdam Kitchen’ series, up to 2 mins).
If you are interested in contributing a lot of content, hosting a show, have ideas for another series, sharing a podcast, or something more, we should probably meetup and chat about the options. Why not come along to one of our many meetups of The Broadcast Club (various locations).
HOW TO RECORD YOUR STORY
We recommend you use the free smartphone app, Ferrite to record and send your submissions.
- Your smartphone’s inbuilt mic should be OK in a quiet place, but if you want to do more #mojo stuff, then you can also invest in a smartphone mic (and a grip like the Shoulderpod mount).
- If you use an add-on mic think about increasing the ‘gain’ dial when recording, to amplify your voice. This may need a bit of experimentation.
- Use headphones to listen to the recording as you’re making it.
- Consult the Ferrite manual for guidance on editing. Once you have used the app a few times, the editing actions should become really quick and easy. Just a few taps on the screen. On an iPad is even easier.
- Talk slowly and leave plenty of pauses.
If you want a bit of extra help, don’t have a smartphone, or want us to record your story, then you can come along to one of our many meetups of The Broadcast Club (various locations). We should have our mobile recording kit with us and can help you out in person.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Once you are happy with your recording on Ferrite, send the completed ‘project’ file to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to add any weblinks/images to your email message, as it’s possble we may be able to share these on our website/social media as well.
For regular contributors, we can accept submissions via our shared Google drive, or even direct to our radio playout system if we really trust you.
As long as your submisions are of an acceptable audio quality and the content is of some value to the local Amsterdam community you should expect your submission to be accepted.
We can add your submissions within just half an hour, but certainly within two days. If we think it will take any longer, we will let you know.
We’ll probably add a jingle or bumper at the start or end of your audio, and maybe a music ‘bed’. (If you become a regular contributor we can also show you how to do this for yourself.)
Once we’ve added the segment to the station, we’ll let you know.
To listen to your segment on air, you’ll need to listen to the appropriate point in the schedule for your category, eg News hour if you submitted some local news, What’s On if you submitted details about a local event. It’s also possible for us to cue your track for when you are listening (on request).
If you have any questions or need help crafting or sharing your stories, contact us at: email@example.com or come along to one of our many meetups of The Broadcast Club (various locations).